Friday, August 13, 2010

Edits and Subjectivity

Right now I'm getting hammered with rain which isn't such a bad thing. Normally I work out in the mornings (outside) but this is forcing me to stay in and keep my butt in the chair. Good for the edits I'm working on. My agent got back to me about the paranormal ST I sent to her and wants me to add depth to it so .... got 2K worth of new stuff yesterday and hope to double that today. For the first time in a while I'm really enjoying edits.


Earlier this week I got an email from a friend of mine who informed me I've been holding out on her. Say what? She saw in the RWR that I placed third in the WISRWA Fab Five contest and I hadn't told her. Oops! I looked back through the past couple of months on my blog and couldn't find a post about it so I think she's right. I believe that was around the time I was moving so it's a late announcement, but I placed 3rd in the romantic suspense category with a story that holds a very special place in my heart. If I sell that baby, I'll tell the story about it. The funny thing about this contest is that I had two entries and got the same judge for both (the judge number was the same so I'm assuming it was the same judge). She liked the one that placed but absolutely hated the other one. Like, shudder-inducing did not like my heroine and wasn't afraid to tell me. Ah, reading really is subjective.


I haven't gotten to the contest winners section of the RWR yet but I have read Shiloh Walker's article Myths About Digital Publishing. If you get the RWR then please, read this. She has an interesting, informative, and balanced perspective on epublishing. Definitely worth your time!


That's it for me! I've got to get back to my edits. Just a note, my alter ego is blogging about Research in Fiction today. When do you think it's okay to bend reality? Stop by and offer an opinion.


Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

December said...

HA - I love the fab five. I did some coordinating this year (not your category) but BOY - was that an eye openeing experience!

Congrats, we have some great judges, from my experience!

Katie Reus said...

That's too funny, December! I can't even imagine how hard it is to coordinate a contest like that. Props to you! :)

Kaylea Cross said...

If you sell??? Nuh-uh. WHEN you sell, girl! Any day now you're gonna get "the call", and then you can fill some more blog posts with your awesome success stories.

I love Shiloh Walker! She reps us e-pubbers very well. (And I get a kick out of her name because that's my cat's name as well. He's named after a Civil War battle, of course.)

Katie Reus said...

All right, *when*! :) That's funny about your cat! Have you read Walker's 'The Missing'? Very good!

Wynter Daniels said...

Congrats on placing - good for you. Read that article - definitely worth the time.