Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My First Pet

Hope everyone had a safe and fun time ushering in the New Year. Ours was not the best because we lost our dog on New Years Eve. It was very unexpected and I'm still trying to deal with it. Since the place we're renting doesn't allow pets, our dog was living with our in-laws until our lease is up. Somehow she got out and to make a long, sad story short she was hit by a car and passed away.


She was a Siberian husky and the cutest dog in the world. Obviously I'm biased but she was the runt of the litter so full grown she was only 37 pounds and absolutely adorable. She never grew out of her puppy phase so she never lost that cuteness. You can't tell in the pictures but she had the most beautiful blue eyes.


Years ago, right after I got engaged, my now-husband was deployed overseas but as soon as he got back he bought me an early Christmas present (it was right before the holidays). My present: a puppy. For almost eight years she was my constant companion, my writing buddy, my walking buddy, and a warm bundle of love that slept next to me when my husband was deployed. When I was sick or sad, she just knew it and gave me extra affection. It's hard to have a bad day when you come home to a happy dog who just wants to lick your face and show you how much she loves you. Once the man's deployments were over, we never kicked her of the habit of sleeping in our bed. Even if we tried to keep her on the floor, she just jumped back up with us once we'd fallen asleep. Eventually we gave up the battle. Living without her was hard but I knew this lease wouldn't be forever and our in-laws have a dog who she got along with so it was a perfect temporary arrangement. Other than New Years, Christmas was the last day I saw her and I just wish I would have played with her longer or hugged her longer or something.


I know she was loved and had a really good life but I'm still going to miss her for a very long time.

10 comments:

Toni Anderson said...

Katie, that is one of the hardest things to deal with, the loss of a beloved pet. You won't ever forget her but eventually the memories will get easier. You must all feel terrible. So sorry you lost her, especially on NY eve.

Katie Reus said...

Thanks, Toni :) Animal people are the only ones who seem to get that it's such a real loss and that it's like losing a member of the family.

December said...

Oh dear, I'm so so sorry for your loss.
They're in our lives for such a short moment, but in our hearts forever.

Pamela Cayne said...

Katie--I'm so sorry! She looks like the best of companions and you have my deepest sympathies on your loss.

Kristen Painter said...

How heart-wrenching. Losing a pet isn't like losing a member of the family, it IS losing a member of the family. You have my deepest sympathies.

Wynter Daniels said...

It's definitely like losing a family member. As sensitive as she was to you, I'm sure she knew how much you loved her.

Tracy said...

Oh Katie I'm so sorry for your loss. I think pets are definitely part of the family and it's like losing your best friend. She'll be in your heart for a very long time and I'm sure you will keep a special place in your memories for her.

{{Big hug}}

Katie Reus said...

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. They really do mean a lot. :)

Sarai said...

Oh honey its so hard to loose a pet. And people who don't own them never understand. I have 2 adorable cats and just the thought of being without them is sad. You have my sympathies!

KC Burn said...

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is, because they truly are members of the family!