Sunday, February 6, 2011

Danger and Secrets

I guess you can say that I cut my teeth on danger and secrets. My family had a pile of Ian Fleming’s JAMES BOND books and we were always watching an assortment of action-adventure movies and television shows. When I went to sleep at night, my brain would spin similar stories as I drifted off to sleep, only in my dreams it was always the girl who saved the day and got the hero.

I guess it’s no wonder that I love writing romantic suspense and paranormals since both are filled with an assortment of different dangers and secrets. Much like in those dreams that I spun as a kid, in a lot of my stories it’s the heroine who helps save the day and lucky girl that she is, she gets a happily-ever-after with a handsome and very virile alpha male.

In my latest release, AZTEC GOLD, the heroine, Cynthia, has a traumatic past. Her parents were renowned anthropologists who were murdered before her eyes and because of that, Cynthia prefers to spend her time within the four walls of the museum where she works. Unfortunately, Cynthia is in love with Rafe, a man who thrives on adventure. When Rafe and his archaeological team disappear while in search of a previously unknown Mexican temple, Cynthia’s one hope is that Rafe will eventually be found.

Nearly six months later, Cynthia is asked to authenticate journals and a map and to her surprise, the map is much like the one Rafe was using to find his secret temple. But the journals with the map warn of a demon that is protecting the temple and although Cynthia doesn’t believe in demons, there is clearly danger connected with the temple. Despite the danger and despite her own fears because of what happened to her parents, Cynthia leaves the safety of the museum walls in the hopes of finding Rafe and his team.

Action and adventure. Danger and secrets. They drive the story in AZTEC GOLD and many of the stories I like to read. My personal favorite is the IN DEATH series by J.D. Robb. I absolutely love Eve Dallas, a total kick-ass heroine. And Roarke. OMG. Talk about virile alpha male! Of course he’s the perfect partner for Eve because it’s impossible to imagine any powerful male like that falling for a wimpy woman. That just wouldn’t last for long.

What about you? What are some of your favorite stories filled with danger and secrets?


And a quick reminder to readers that the more you visit/comment, the more times you'll be entered into the month long contest I'm having (grand prize which is described in this previous post will be announced on March 2, US & Canadian residents only)

12 comments:

Terry Odell said...

Eve and Roarke - nothing better! Next in line would be Suzanne Brockmann's series.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Caridad and Katie!! I love danger and secrets in the stories I read--they make those stories so much more fun!

Kaye Manro said...

How about dangerous secrets. That's always intriguing to read. Sounds like a book title-- maybe it is! Caridad, you have a wonderful knack of blending danger and secrets in your books, so anything you write is on my list of reads!

Katie Reus said...

Thanks for blogging here today, Caridad! I second what you and Terry said, I absolutely love Eve and Roarke! I've listened to so many of the In Death books on audio and they never get old. My favorite story filled with danger and secrets is All the Queens Men by Linda Howard.

Kimmie, Nola said...

Hi! I think the author that stands out the most for me...in terms of mystery & suspense would be Allison Brennan's Prison Break Trilogy. It really had me on the edge of my seat in some scenes

Cathy M said...

Another Eve and Roarke fan here, love their dynamic. Just finished reading Loose Ends by Tara Janzen, and with her Steele Street characters, she delivers tons of secrets and danger.

Caridad Pineiro said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not tried anything by either Brennan or Janzen. Will have to check them out.

Thank you for dropping by and many thanks to Katie for allowing me to visit.

Kaylea Cross said...

Hi Caridad. Congrats on the new book! I love reading about traumatized characters, since they make me feel much more stable and normal :)
I still love JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood for action and danger. Those Brothers are just...yum.

Stephanie said...

I love Roxanne St. Claire's Bullet Catcher and Angelino series.

Diane said...

JD Robb's Eve and Roarke are still my winners; in fact I'm already checking out the bookstores for the new release due out Feb 22.11

Caridad Pineiro said...

I love tortured characters because I like seeing them face their own internal demons and overcome them. I think we can all like that kind of story. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definitely check out some of your favorites!

Sarah said...

The In Death series and Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series are two of my very favorites - always good for edge-of-your-seat suspense/action!

smaccall @ comcast.net