Sunday, February 20, 2011

Guest Author Crystal Jordan

One of the most interesting things about writing a romantic suspense or mystery is that there is the element of the unknown throughout the book (or series). You're always asking the questions "Who?" or "Why?" You want to know who's pulling the strings in background, what's going on that you're not seeing? I have to say, I love it when a series manages to keep a mystery going.


What's even more challenging is when that series has multiple authors. I saw something like this done in the 2176 series that kicked off with The Legend of Banzai Maguire by Susan Grant. In that futuristic series, you have a man sending illegal broadcasts out to try to start a global uprising against a dictatorial regime, and his messages spur the different characters in different ways throughout each book, but you don't find out who the man behind the voice is until the last story in the series.


Maintaining a big secret is also something I tried to tackle in the Forbidden Passions shape-shifter series I wrote with Loribelle Hunt. Each book focuses on the romance of one Leonidas brother, and has a suspense plot that ties up in that story, but the overarching secret that drives the smaller suspenses is the big question of what happened to the Leonidases father. He'd disappeared, presumably dying in a plane crash, but as the books unfold, you get more and more clues that the father didn't die and something far deeper (and more dangerous) is afoot in the shape-shifter politics of the world we built.


My favorite part of any mystery is keeping that sense of danger and suspense going. I want to still be interested in answering all the lingering questions, and be on the edge of my seat by the end of it. I want to have guessed the answer--and been wrong--so that I'm totally surprised by the end. There have to be dark twists and sinister turns, and an author who can do that will totally have me putting them on my auto-buy list. What? I may be a writer, but I was a reader first. I hope I pull this off in my books, but I guess that's for my readers to judge. Me? I'm just in it for the sexy heroes ;-)


You can check out the Forbidden Passions at Samhain Publishing.


Thanks for stopping by!

-Crystal Jordan

Thanks Crystal for joining me today! She writes super hot stories so I hope ya'll check her out! A reminder to readers that the more you visit/comment, the more times you'll be entered into the month long contest I'm having (grand prize announced on March 2, US & Canadian residents only)

5 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

I love unexpected twists and turns. They keep me coming back for more.

Danielle Gorman said...

Oh this looks really good. Yet another book that goes on my TBR pile.

Stephanie said...

I love all the new books and author I am learning about.

smccar1 at hotmail dot com

Jillian said...

I'm in it for the same reason!! LOL!

Sarah said...

I love when there's a mystery among the romance! Makes it that much more interesting :-)

smaccall @ comcast.net