Thursday, February 17, 2011

Secret Operations!

You want secrets? You want danger? Nobody knows those about things more than special operations soldiers, and that’s why I love to write about them. My heroes are tough, alpha in the extreme, and serve in the best units of the US military. I love showing their capabilities, their training, and how hard they’ve worked to get there. But that’s not all.

The secret is...on top of their lethal skill sets, they can all curl a woman’s toes at twenty paces. I mean, what’s not to love? These elite soldiers are brave, loyal, and they’re sexy as hell.

I love to offset my heroes’ alpha badness with their expertise in the bedroom and watch the sparks fly between them and my heroines. With romantic suspense it’s important to me to balance both the romance and the suspense throughout the book. Each of those elements drives the other, and one should never overshadow the other. And when a battle-hardened soldier drops his guard and shows the woman he loves his sexy, tender side... Yum. (Are your toes curling yet?)

The second book in my military romantic suspense series, Cover of Darkness, features Navy SEAL lieutenant Dec McCabe. He’s a total pro on the battlefield, but on this particular mission he’ll be tested in ways he never imagined.

Blurb: Targeted by a terrorist cell, Bryn McAllister survives a bombing at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut only to be left to die in a desert cellar. When she is rescued by Navy SEAL Lieutenant Declan McCabe and his team, Bryn must rely on the handsome officer to get her to safety. But just when she thinks the nightmare is over, family friend and legendary CIA operative Luke Hutchinson recruits her and McCabe to help track down the terrorist mastermind responsible for the attack.

With Bryn determined to see the terrorist brought to justice, Dec joins up to protect her, prepared to do whatever it takes to keep her safe during their dangerous mission. Battling the explosive attraction between them, Dec fights to keep his distance from her so he can do his job and keep her alive. But when plans fall apart and Bryn is captured, he must make the agonizing choice between his duty as a SEAL and the life of the woman he loves.

A big thanks to Katie for having me here on her blog today. I’m giving away a digital copy of Cover of Darkness (or another book from my backlist if you’d prefer) to one commenter. Just leave me a message about why you love military heroes!

You can find me on my blog, facebook or twitter. Website: www.kayleacross.com



Thank you Kaylea for joining me today! What she didn’t tell you about this particular book is that it placed first in The Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Award, it’s an EPIC finalist, and it finaled in the VCRW Laurel Wreath contest! It’s a fantastic example of military romance and once you try one of her books, you’ll be hooked.

13 comments:

Jillian said...

I love Military heroes for some of the same reasons you stated and also because of the inherent patriotism!! I love this country of ours!

Kaylea Cross said...

Hi Jillian, yeah, there's something about those military men :)

Jane said...

Hi Kaylea,
I can't wait to hear more about your new series. I love military heroes for their integrity and bravery.

donnas said...

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. They have such a strong sense of honor and loyalty which just goes into making them such great heroes.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great book! I love military heroes because they are so strong, so confident, you know they can always take care of you but to be able to take care of them in return would be extremely rewarding (and challenging!) but well worth it :-)

smaccall @ comcast.net

Kaylea Cross said...

Hi Jane! Yup, early September for Deadly Descent, I think. Got a whole new group of hunks for you to meet ;)

Hi Donna, yes, those qualities sure don't hurt, do they?

Hey Sarah. Oh yeah, looking after them in return would definitely have its benefits.

Stephanie said...

I love military men. They are protective and dangerous. This book looks great because it focuses on facing your fears by reliving the past.

smccar1 at hotmail dot com

Cathy M said...

I've read all of this series except for No Turning Back (didn't even realize that I'd skipped over this one). It really is fabulous, and you are going to fall in love with these heroes.

Kaylea Cross said...

Hi Stephanie, thanks. I love Declan, but of course Luke's my favorite so he got his own story to wrap up the series in the last book.

Cathy, thanks for coming by! No Turning Back seems to be the one people like best, but it always surprises me because it's the most violent and graphic of the series. It's even faster paced than Cover of Darkness, so if you read it, don't start it just before bed time!

Lea said...

Hi Kaylea:

Great post! I love Romantic Suspense & especially SEAL stories and your books have been recommended to me by a friend. I actually have Cover of Darkness & No Turning Back on my e-reader and hope to get to them soon.

I've also got my eye on Absolution. :-)

Please don't enter me in the contest because as I noted I already have Kaylea's book.

Kaylea Cross said...

Hi Lea, thanks for stopping in. I hope you enjoy the books, but just remember to be patient with Ben. He takes some...getting used to :)

Kaylea Cross said...

Thanks to everyone who stopped in to comment. Sarah, you're the contest winner, so congratulations! I'll send you the book now. Happy reading!

Kaylea :)

Anne said...

I love heroes who are/were SEALs, they're always so alpha.

Congratulations on all the acolades Cover of Darkness has received!