Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's a Secret Without a Little Danger

Hello. I’m Seleste deLaney and I’d like to thank Katie for inviting me to be part of her month of danger and secrets. Both of those things play huge roles in most of my published works. Since I write a lot of paranormal, it kind of comes with the territory. Even though it’s my first foray into the world of steampunk/alternate-history, my Carina Press novella, Badlands, is still rife with danger and secrets.

Danger. Secrets. Just the words send shivers down my spine. For me, fiction without both of them doesn’t stand a chance of exciting me. But if an author manages to weave the two around each other in a story, I’m hooked. Intrigue of any sort gets me excited to read, and I hope it’s something I manage to deliver in my own stories.

The world of the Badlands is one filled with danger and secrets. The danger starts within the first two pages with an attack on a royal fortress. The main line of defense is the group of warrior women who protect the queen and the countries borders. Ever, my heroine, is the type to rush head-first into a dangerous situation. It isn’t foolhardiness, just a surety that she can handle anything she comes up against.

It’s a cockiness that comes with her job. Ever is commander of the Badlands’ Border Guards. Her job is to apprehend the criminals sent across the Mississippi River by the United States. Most of them are men, and most of them have no desire to spend their lives to be captured again. Ever’s body is covered with scars from her battles with them, as well as tattoos—several of which keep count of the prisoners she’s killed in fights. She’s well accustomed to physical danger, so she confronts most of what she finds on the Dark Hawk without flinching.

Romance is the one danger she came ill-prepared to face though. And to complicate matters, there are hidden agendas a plenty aboard the airship. For starters, Ever keeps the details of her mission quiet for fear of spies, even aboard the tiny dirigible. And she isn’t alone in playing things close to the vest. Not everyone has secrets, but those that are in play alter the fate of more than just Ever and her mission. Because when you’re in the Badlands, secrets and danger tend to go hand-in-hand.

Badlands is available for pre-order and releases tomorrow, February 28.

After a brutal Civil War, America is a land divided. As commander of her nation's border guards, Ever is a warrior sworn to protect her country and her queen. When an airship attacks and kills the monarch, Ever must infiltrate enemy territory to bring home the heir to the throne, and the dirigible Dark Hawk is her fastest way to the Union.

Captain Spencer Pierce just wants to pay off the debt he owes on the Dark Hawk and make a life for himself trading across the border. When the queen's assassination puts the shipping routes at risk, he finds himself Ever's reluctant ally.

As they fly into danger, Ever and Spencer must battle not only the enemy but also their growing attraction. She refuses to place her heart before duty, and he has always put the needs of his ship and crew above his own desires. Once the princess is rescued, perhaps they can find love in the Badlands—if death doesn't find them first...

Seleste deLaney is a writer of speculative romance. You can find her on Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads.

In celebration of strong female characters, Seleste is giving away a copy of Badlands to a random commenter (here or on her blog) who gives an example of a strong woman from their real life. She’ll draw a winner Wednesday (3/2) night at 11:59 pm est.

15 comments:

daniellelapaglia said...

Badlands most certainly falls into the danger and secrets category. I'm so excited for the release, Sel. As for strong women in my own life, I would have to look to my mother. She has dealt with so much adversity in her life, but she stands stall and strong on her own two feet.

d2feb5ca-3794-11e0-9412-000f20980440 said...

So different from your other works. Danger and secrets are good too. For the strong person, I am going out on a limb and saying me. I've been through alot and seem to keep it together in front of people. There are others out there just as strong - they are called Survivors!

Diane said...

My girlfriend was
first diagnosed with Crohn's when she was 16years old; she is now in her 50's. Her motto is follow your doctor's recommendations, watch what you eat, exercise daily and go on with your life. Don't whine because life has been so unfair, it hasn't.She goes to Church every week to direct the kid's Sunday school, works full time, has a great marriage, takes trips every when they have time and enjoys her life.

Stephanie said...

I love the fast pace and relationship that I see with this book. My mom is a strong person as she is there for everyone in the family.

Cathy M said...

The strongest woman I was blessed to know was my great grandmother. She was a widow for 50 years, and lived by herself in an old mining town in northern california. Thirty of those years with no running water or electricity, said she didn't need it! She was what we refer to as pioneer stock. She died when I was 10, and I wish I could have known her as an adult.

Seleste said...

Thanks for coming by, ladies! I'm keeping track of all your entries and really loving the stories. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Sarah said...

My Mom is the strongest woman I know - no matter what life throws at her, she is always gracious and thinking of others.

smaccall @ comcast.net

Sunnymay said...

My best friend is a strong lady who helps her 3 kids with learning difficulties get through school by tutoring them herself along with the schools tutor. She has patience and one kid even got the teacher's notes as part of IEP.

Name: Aine said...

My mom. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and fought it 6 times over 14 years before she passed away... almost 4 years ago. She had chemo 3 times, radiation 5 times, a stem cell transplant, and countless surgeries. She never complained, even though she lived several years in constant pain. She worked even when she was on chemo if we needed the money to pay the bills. She was the strongest, most incredible woman I know.

Katie Reus said...

Sorry I'm a day late, Seleste! What a fantastic topic. Obviously I can't win a copy but two examples of strong women in my life are my sister and mom for too many reasons to list here :)

Anne said...

It's definitely my mom. She takes a lickin', but keeps on ticking. She's had 5 unrelated cancers and one re-ocurrance. Had surgery each time and radiation twice and two rounds of chemo (which really scared her the first time). She got a little depressed, but sucked it up and kept doing what needed to be done. Complaining about how my dad was doing things helped ;-).

Larry B. Gray said...

It is Mom. She had outpatient back surgery 14 months ago and has not been out of the hospital but a total of 2 months since. But she is still fighting. She has to be strong, she raised me.

donnas said...

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing!

I would definitely have to say my mom. And it would take at least the rest of the day to explain why.

Seleste said...

Winners from the giveaway hop are posted! http://selestedelaney.com/wordpress/?p=601

Seleste said...

Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories. I hope even if you didn't win, you'll still check out Badlands!