Saturday, July 16, 2011

I'm back (with a baby)!

I’d hoped to post this blog a little sooner but having a new baby in the house is really time consuming ;)


Last week I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and am now officially a mom! Since my little guy arrived we haven’t had much rest which was expected. Without going into all the details there were complications with the birth (after a full day of labor) so I had an unplanned c-section. The actual c-section was really fast and kinda makes me wish we’d done it sooner. I didn’t get to hold him that first night but the doctor did let me see my son briefly before they put him under the oxygen tent. The hospital where I delivered is absolutely amazing and the nurses made everything so much easier than it could have been. After my c-section I got a little disoriented and sick and they were such a calming influence.


A few days later we left the hospital we thought that would be it, but because his jaundice levels kept rising we were readmitted a couple days later. He did not like the bili light we had to put him under at all. Poor guy cried most of the night which was torture to listen to. Thankfully they let us take him home the next day and had a home health company send us a bili blanket to keep him wrapped in. He didn’t like the constricting blanket either but he was much calmer. So, after a week of blood tests, pediatrician and doctor appointments he’s finally home and healthy.


When he came out he was 6 pounds 14 ounces. He’s got a ton of dark hair (just like his mom!) and my facial features but he’s totally got his father’s expressions. I can’t stop staring at him he’s so cute! I didn’t think it would be possible to love someone so much.


Thankfully my mom is staying with us. My husband was working the night shift at the time our son was born and with me healing from a c-section, I don’t think I’d have been able to do everything without help. I’ve since learned that babies take up a lot of space for being so tiny. For someone who likes things organized this has definitely been a learning experience and I’ve learned to relax more. ;)

17 comments:

Jill Sorenson said...

Adorable! Congrats. He looks like a good kicker. :)

Jillian said...

Wonderful. He's beautiful. Congrats to you all.

MJFredrick said...

I'm so happy for you! He's adorable. Your experience sounds a lot like mine (but 20 yrs ago!). Here's hoping for smooth sailing! Enjoy every moment!

Terry Odell said...

Congrats, Katie. And it'll be worth all the pain and exhaustion. (In about 30 years!) Wish I could be there to say hi to the little one in person.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Shannon said...

Oh! Congratulations!! He is so cute, I'm totally jealous, I have major baby drive right now and we aren't quite there. :)

Melisse Aires said...

Congratulations! What acute little guy. Glad your mom could be with you, you definitely need support right now so you can rest, heal and snuggle that baby!

Wynter Daniels said...

I love the pictures! He's so adorable. Yeah, babies make for huge changes in every area of life, but it's all worth it.

Carolyn Crane said...

Katie! Oh, so cute and sweet! Congratulations!

Kaylea Cross said...

He makes my uterus cramp! I can totally see both you and your man in him :)

I hate that you had to go through both labor and a section, but at least it all turned out okay in the end. I laughed when I read the part about learning to relax more--I'm the same way, and still learning to relax my standards of tidiness a little bit.

Hope it's all smooth sailing from here on out, and now if you'll pardon me, I'm going to shake my finger at you because I know darn well you haven't been taking it as easy as the docs told you to! (See? I really do know you!)

Diane said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!
They do take a lot of adjusting but then you can't imagine a life without them.

Karen Erickson said...

Congrats, Katie! He's soooo cute. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. My daughter had the jaundice problem as well so I feel you - it's tough going back to the hospital!

:)

December said...

Huge Congrats! I'm so happy you are home with the little guy at last! Be well!

Jeannie Lin said...

Look at that little smile! Congrats momma on a healthy baby boy!

Cynthia Eden said...

He is gorgeous!! I am so glad Mommy and baby are doing better now--and I hope the two of you have a much easier time from here on out!

Eden Bradley said...

What a beautiful boy! Such a cute smile!

Katie Reus said...

Thanks everyone! He really is so adorable! It's hard to stop staring at him :)

Tracy said...

What a beautiful baby, Katie! Congratulations to you and your hubby!