Thank you everyone who stopped by for my Monster Mash-Up party, both authors and commenters alike! I hope you discovered some new authors and found some interesting reads this October. (You still have a chance to win books in the two posts directly before this one)
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year. Any excuse to get dressed up, party, and perhaps partake in a few drinks… totally cool with me. Halloween wasn’t always such a fun holiday however. Halloween, or Hallow E’en, as it’s called in Ireland stems from the Catholic Church’s ‘All Hollows Day’ or ‘All Saints Day’ (which is a celebration of the Saints). However, before Christianity was introduced to Ireland, Halloween as we know it dates back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. November 1st was the end of summer and their harvest, and the beginning of winter. The Celts believed that on October 31, the line between the world of the living and dead blurred. The Celts needed their harvests to survive so out of respect, they built huge bonfires and sacrificed animals. In addition, they dressed up in various ghoulish costumes in the hopes of disguising their human form to spirits roaming the earth.
Here are some fun facts about this holiday!
1. The next full moon on Halloween will be October 31, 2020 so get ready!
2. A pumpkin is a fruit.
3. Orange and black are associated with Halloween because orange is associated with the Fall Harvest and black with death
4. Bobbing for apples is thought to have been derived from the Roman harvest festival that honors the goddess Pamona.
5. Halloween was brought to America by European immigrants.
6. Black cats are connected with Halloween because they are thought to help witches.
7. In Mexico, they celebrate Dias de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) on November 2nd.
8. Are you afraid of Halloween? You might have Samhainophobia.
9. Orange isn’t the only color of pumpkins. They also come in blue, white, and green!
10. Harry Houdini died on Halloween in 1926 at the age of 52 from peritonitis.
Stay safe this Halloween!