Monday, October 17, 2011

Monster Mash Today with Rebecca Zanetti!

First, I’d like to thank Katie for having me over today for the Monster Mash Month! I’m so happy to be here. I found this pretty cool quote—and I think we could easily substitute ‘monster’ for ‘dragon.”

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." G.K. Chesterton

The idea of good versus evil, of good usually triumphing over evil, is one of the reasons the existence of monsters make a story so appealing. So we start with the idea of absolute good and absolute evil…and then things get interesting because most monsters are monsters because of circumstances beyond their control.

I think a story really gets fascinating when a monster figures out right from wrong…and then makes a choice. If he makes the choice to reform, then we root for him. If he chooses the wrong path on purpose and with full knowledge, then he really is a bad guy, isn’t he?

The more knowledgeable and self-aware the bad guy is, the stronger the good guy has to be to win. And when we take a good guy and give him the choice of good or evil…sometimes he’ll take the wrong road for the right result. I mean, who wants a perfect hero? Not me. Give me one of those flawed Alphas any day instead.

CLAIMED, the second book in my Dark Protector Series, will be released on November 1st. In CLAIMED, the bad guy is an evil vampire who has set a deadly virus loose on purpose, with full knowledge it will hurt all vampire mates, both good and bad. He does so in a grand scheme to beat the good vampires.

The good vampires, the Kayrs brothers, have no problem crossing any line to protect their mates. Sure, they’re dark and deadly. But they’re focused and their goals are pure, even though they aren’t even close to pure. Dage Kayrs, the hero in CLAIMED, is a king who must fight his baser nature every day to lead his people. When his mate is threatened, he stops fighting himself and lets loose.

Thanks again to Katie for having me over today! I’d like to give away a signed copy of FATED, Book 1 of the Dark Protectors, to a commenter today. We’ll let random.org choose. So…what do you like about monsters?

BIO: Rebecca Zanetti is a college professor by day and romance author by night. Currently she’s busy writing the sexy Dark Protector Series from Kensington Brava, which has received excellent reviews. To find Rebecca on the web, drop by her website: http://rebeccazanetti.com/

CLAIMED BLURB:

While geneticist Emma Paulsen appreciates vampire king Dage Kayrs rescuing her from the evil, pasty, creepy Kurjan leader who wanted to mate with her, she wouldn’t have needed rescuing had the vampires not gone to war. And while she’s willing to spend one night fulfilling her fantasies with Dage, no way does she plan to stick around for good. Whether the king happened to brand her flesh or not.

That is until her pregnant sister, Cara, contracts a Kurjan virus that will not only destroy the baby but strip Cara’s chromosomal pairs until she’s possibly less than human. A virus that turns shifters into werewolves. A bug that requires science, magic and physics to be quashed. Emma will have to suspend her every belief in science and to trust the vampires in order to save her sister.

Dage Kayrs has waited three centuries to find his mate. As King of the Realm, he’s accustomed to diplomacy and design, although he’d rather rip his enemy’s head off than negotiate. He’s tired of hiding his true nature. He’s tired of being alone. But the greatest challenge of his long life will be in learning to compromise enough to keep Emma, his learning to bend during a time of war when his oldest friends might become his greatest enemies.

13 comments:

Vanessa N. said...

Rebecca is a new author for me and I can't wait to check out this series. It sounds awesome. Thanks for the chance.

mythic021@gmail.com

Diane said...

I have Fated and quite liked it!
I'm sure Claimed is just as good.

Tammy said...

I have just found a new vampire series I have got to read,. There is something about vampires that just draws you too them (dark, sexy possessiveness) Yum! I cant wait to read this series. Rebecca has just found a new fan.
Tammy
jfarms74338@gmail.com

Katie Reus said...

Thanks so much for joining me today, Rebecca! Monsters = awesomeness! :)

Rebecca said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for having me here today, Katie! Also, thank you to everyone who has commented so far. Have a great week! :)

Liz said...

WOW! I am so going to buy this....great post. Thanks!
Liz
etcrowe@me.com

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

This was awesome! I love the quote and good versus evil explanation. Yay!

lynnrush said...

Great post. I'm a big fan of Rebecca's writing. Fated was awesome and I'm so ready for Claimed! :)

I think that's why I like her heroes so much. They aren't so pure, but their goals are rock solid. That's just a fun mix to write and read about. :)

The Romanceaholic said...

Ooooh sounds great!

I like my monsters just like I like human characters -- tortured, angsty, yet ultimately redeemable (even the villains) :)

Thanks for the giveaway!

Jess
Romanceaholic at gmail dot com

ReneeRearden said...

I agree that each of us, the human variety of monsters or otherwise, make choices, and I love flawed alpha males that have a more difficult choice than others. Just makes me sigh with longing.

I can't wait to read Claimed! Thanks so much for the chance to win a copy...

ReneeRearden(at)yahoo(dot)com

Candace Colt said...

Fated was excellent! Agree with comments about flawed alphas. Boring otherwise! Give me a little bad so I can so enjoy the good LOL!

Robin said...

It's fascinating trying to understand them and see if they can be redeemed.

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

danni said...

This is my first time hearing about the series and I definitely can't wait to try it.