Sunday, March 18, 2012

Silken Sands Adventure

Today I got back from the Silken Sands Writer’s conference of 2012! It was in Pensacola Beach, FL so it’s hard to go wrong when you’re surrounded by sunny skies and the ocean. Though I am happy to be home. Leaving my little one was harder than I expected! There were some great workshops and a lot of writer interaction which is always fun. I was lucky enough to hang out with Wynter Daniels, a long time friend, and to meet Mina Khan, who is just as sweet in person as she is online. And of course I got to hang out with Cynthia Eden, one of my favorite people. We had a little unplanned adventure on Saturday night.

A bunch of us went out to dinner on Saturday to this Boardwalk area and as we were leaving this young girl approached us and asked for a pen to write down a phone number. The place was starting to get rowdy and she and her friend looked way too young to be hanging out there so Cynthia and I asked them if everything was okay. Long story short they were fifteen and had been abandoned by friends and had no way home and had absolutely no business being at that place after dark. I realized later the reason they’d approached us was because we were totally the most ‘non-threatening’ people there (I’m pretty sure we were the oldest, lol—it was all spring breakers and people out celebrating St. Patrick’s Day). So we drove them home (and bought them dinner on the way) and of course told them to never ever get in the car with strangers again! I’m sure since I write romantic suspense I have a more vivid imagination than most or maybe it was my maternal instinct but good Lord, I hate to think what could have happened to them. All I know is that I hope if my kid or future kid(s) are ever in a bad situation I hope a good Samaritan helps them out too.

So the weekend was fun but super tiring and I’m very happy to be back with my hubs and baby! What did everyone else do this weekend?

4 comments:

Diane said...

Went to visit my Dad for his 89th birthday!!! Had a great time with all my family.

Wynter Daniels said...

It was a fun time. Loved spending the weekend with you and Cynthia!

Rashda Khan said...

We'll definitely have to meet up again! And so glad you all were around for those two girls....

Kaylea Cross said...

Aw, I'm so proud of you for helping them! You never told me that story. Good on you guys.

And I know, isn't Mina the sweetest thing ever? Couldn't you just put her in your pocket and take her home with you?